How do we create comprehensive security programs while meeting compliance obligations?
What’s the difference between IT Security and IT Compliance ?
Information Security (IS) is the practice of exercising due diligence to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of critical business assets. In today’s ever-changing environment it takes a combination of Technical tools to combat both traditional as well as social engineering attacks. These tools include as firewalls, content filters and access control as well as implementation of business policies and staff training.
- Practiced for its own sake, not to satisfy a third party’s needs
- Driven by the need to protect against constant threats to an organization’s assets
- Never truly finished and should be continuously maintained and improved
In short, IT Security comes down to employing certain measures to have the best possible protection for an organization’s assets.
Any compliance is centered around the requirements of a third party, such as a government, industry sector (eg. Medical), security framework (ISO), or client’s contractual terms.
- Practiced to satisfy external requirements and facilitate business operations
- Driven by business needs rather than technical needs
- Considered “done” when the third party is satisfied
In short, IT Compliance is the process of meeting a third party’s requirements or minimum standard of Information Security to enable a business relationship.
Need help with Compliance or Security?
Katana IT have years of experience helping business to meet compliance needs as well as the ongoing support required for a successful security framework.
Give us a call on 02 4647 1855 to point you in the right direction.